in 1 John
What does it say?
- Read 1 John 4:7–5:5
- What are some repeated words/phrases?
- How is the love of God made manifest among us? (v. 9)
- What is the reason John gives that we ought to love one another? (v. 11)
- How do we know that we abide in God? (v. 13)
- What commands does John give to them?
What does it mean?
- What is 'propitiation'? (4:10)
- What is 'the day of judgment'? (4:17)
- What does it mean to 'overcome the world'? (5:4–5)
- How can we understand this passage through the gospel?
How should it change us?
- What can we learn about God from these passages?
- What does it look like for God's love to be perfected in us? (4:17)
- How can you grow in love your fellow church members?