What does it say?
- Read John 3:1-15
- What is the setting of this event?
- Who are the characters involved?
- What words do you see repeated in these verses?
- How would you summarize Nicodemus's questions? What is it that he wants to know from Jesus?
- What comparisons/contrasts do you see in Jesus' answers? (e.g. Spirit is compared with wind)
What does it mean?
- Why do you think that Nicodemus went to meet with Jesus at night?
- Do you think that Nicodemus was one of the people from John 2:23-25, who only believed in Jesus because of his signs?
- Why or why not?
- What do you think Jesus means when he says, "You must be born again"?
- What is the connection between being "born again" and the "wind" that Jesus talks about?
- What is the connection of being born again with entering the Kingdom of God?
- Read Numbers 21:4-9
- Why did serpents come among the people and bite them?
- What did God say would happen when the people see the serpent that Moses lifted up? Do those words come true?
- How does this help us to understand what Jesus is saying in John 3:15?
- In verse 10, Jesus implies that Nicodemus should have understood something. Was there anything from the Old Testament that Nicodemus should have known?
- Where should Nicodemus go to find knowledge of heavenly things?
- Is there any evidence here of how Nicodemus responds to Jesus?
- Read John 19:38-40. Does this show faith or repentance in Christ?
How should it change us?
- According to this passage, what must a righteous person do to enter the kingdom of God?
- What about an unrighteous person?
- Read 2 Corinthians 5:17 and discuss the connections to John 3.
- Does the story of Jesus and Nicodemus have any relevance to your life? Have you been "born again"?
- If so, praise God. Remember that it was His work alone that saved you.
- If not, why not? Is there something holding you back from turning from your sin and trusting in Christ?
- Are there other things in your life that you are trusting in to get you into the Kingdom of God? (certain good works? church attendance? comparison with other people? etc.)
- Confess those things to God and trust in His grace alone.
- Pray in light of this passage and about any applications you have made
- Sing There is a Fountain Filled With Blood