Jesus In Gentile Territory
Read Mark 7:24-30
- Where did Jesus go and why? Why couldn’t he remain hidden? What’s significant about this area?
- Who came to Jesus and why? Why does Mark emphasize her nationality?
- Had Jesus done this sort of thing before?
- What’s surprising about Jesus’ response?
- How does the woman respond and what does it indicate?
- How does the exchange end?
Read Mark 7:31-37
- Where did Jesus go next and what’s significant about this area?
- Who is brought to Jesus and why?
- How does Jesus heal him? What does Jesus command them and how do they respond?
- What do they say about Jesus?
- What does these scenes teach us about Jesus and his mission?
- In contrast to last week (Mark 7:1-23) what is surprising about those who receive Jesus?
- Why does he seek to remain private? What does that say about what was his mission and what wasn’t his mission?
- How do these healings fit with Jesus’ teaching? What deeper purpose is there to these healings? (Look at 7:14-15, 8:17-18, 21)