in 1 John
What does it say?
- Read 1 John 4:1–6
- What are some repeated words/phrases?
- What does John call the recipients of this letter?
- What command does John give to them?
- What threats do the recipients face?
- What tests does John give to them?
What does it mean?
- What is a spirit? How are they seen to be at work according to John?
- What does it mean that "Jesus Christ has come in the flesh..." in v. 2?
- What is the spirit of the antichrist in v. 3?
- Who is "he who is in you" referring to in v. 4?
- Who is "We are from God" referring to in v. 6?
- How can we understand this passage through the gospel?
How should it change us?
- What can we learn about God from these passages?
- Do you currently "test the spirits," how?
- How are you tempted to downplay false teaching and false prophets?
- How do you help other church members know the truth?