Sermon Bible Study Guides
He Taught as One Who Had Authority
Read Mark 1:16-39
- What stands out about Jesus in this passage?
- How does Jesus address the disciples and what is their response?
- How do the people in the synagogue respond to Jesus? Why do they respond that way?
- How do the demons/unclean spirits respond to Jesus?
- What does Jesus do to sick people?
- What is the result of his healing people?
A. How does Jesus respond to this?
- What does the way people (and demons) respond to Jesus teach us about who Jesus is? What does he have?
- How should that affect the way we think of Jesus?
- What is most important to Jesus in his ministry? How should that affect our priorities as Christians? As a church?
The Kingdom of God Is At Hand
Read Mark 1:1-15
- What kind of ministry did John have?
- How does John’s ministry relate to and compare to Jesus’ ministry? (note: compare their messages, status, baptism, etc.)
- What does Mark want us to know about Jesus identity as he begins his book?
- How does he show it?
- What is revealed about Jesus relationship with the Father and the Holy Spirit, and how?
- Why is Jesus tempted in the wilderness?
- How does Mark summarize all of Jesus teaching? (v. 14-15)
- Unpack each part and discuss what they mean.
- What does Jesus call people to do?
- What does Jesus call to repent mean? Are you actively repentant of your sins? What does that look like day to day?
- How can we grow in being repentant?
- What do followers of Christ trust in?
- What does an active faith look like and how can we grow in faith?