- Read John 5:16-30
- Do you notice any repeated words?
- Why were the Jews persecuting and wanting to kill Jesus? (v. 15-18)
- In what ways does Jesus compare himself to God?
- How does Jesus say that he is different from God the Father?
What does it mean?
- What do you think are the "greater works" that Jesus is talking about in verse 20?
- Which work(s) is he comparing to?
- Do verses 21-29 help you to see the "greater works" he is talking about?
- In verse 24, Jesus promises eternal life to "whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me"
- What does it mean to "hear" and to "believe"?
- How does this connect with verse 21?
- In verse 25 and in verse 28, the same phrase is used: "an hour is coming..."
- Are these talking about different events or one event?
- If they are talking about different events, what is the difference between the dead living (v. 25) and those in tombs resurrecting to life (v. 28-29)?
- Do you have any questions about the relationship between God the Father and God the Son?
How should it change us?
- How does the relationship between Jesus and God the Father affect us in our daily lives?
- Do you have eternal life as it talks about in verse 24?
- If not, what more do you need to hear in order to believe?
- If yes, when did you first believe? How has hearing the words of Jesus continued to affect you?
- What is one thing that you can do this week to live in light of our coming judgment?
- Pray in light of this passage and about any applications you have made
- Sing How Sweet and Awesome to God and to one another.