in 1 John
What does it say?
- Read 1 John 2:28–3:10
- What does John call the recipients of this letter in 1 Jn. 2:28?
- What does John command them in 1 Jn. 2:28?
- Why does he command this?
- What are the recipients called in 1 Jn. 3:1?
- What are they called in 1 Jn. 3:2?
- What will happen when 'he' appears in 1 Jn. 3:2?
- Why did 'he' appear in 1 Jn. 3:5?
- Who is 'of the devil' according to 1 Jn. 3:8?
- What are the two characteristics of children of God vs. children of the devil in 1 Jn. 3:10?
What does it mean?
- Summarize the passage in one sentence
- What does it mean to 'abide in him' in 1 Jn. 2:28?
- What is 'when he appears' referring to in 1 Jn. 2:28 and who does it reference?
- What does 1 Jn. 3:6 mean? After someone becomes a Christian do they cease from sinning?
- Why did the Son of God appear according to John?
- Why did John include love of brother as an indicator of if someone is a child of God?
How should it change us?
- How does this passage give Christians assurance of salvation?
- John takes sin very seriously, how would you describe your attitude toward sin?
- Who are you regularly accountable to in the church?
- Do you confess secret, habitual sin to others?
- Who do you hold accountable in the church?
- If you don't hold anyone accountable, why not?
- How can you apply 1 John 3:8 to your fight against sin?
- Sing Jesus Friend of Sinners to God and to one another.