THE King's ransom
Read Mark 10:32-45
- What is the setting of the passage?
- What does Jesus tell the disciples about what was to happen to him? (v. 33-34)
- How many times has Jesus told them this before?
- Do the disciples understand what he says?
- What did James and John, the sons of Zebedee, request from Jesus?
- How did Jesus respond to them? What questions did he ask them?
- How does their request contradict Jesus' earlier teachings? (Look back at Mk 9:33-37)
- What is the response of the other ten disciples when they heard of James and John's request?
- What are some similarities and differences between Jesus' teaching in Mk 10:42-45 and Mk 9:33-37?
- What does Jesus' foretelling of his death tell us about the sovereign plan of God?
- What does Jesus' foretelling of his death tell us about his obedience to the Father?
- What do we learn about Christian leadership from v. 42-45?
- What does it mean for Jesus to "give his life as a ransom for many"?
- What has Jesus' death and resurrection set us free from?
- Pray for members of the church to be marked by servant leadership.