Sermon Bible Study Guides
All is vanity
Read Ecclesiastes 1–2:26
- Explain the meaning of "vanity" in Ecclesiastes in your own words (v. 2)
- Explain the meaning of "under the sun" in Ecclesiastes in your own words (v. 3)
- List the different categories the preacher addresses as "vanity" in Ecclesiastes 1 and 2.
- What does it mean to "toil under the sun"?
- How would you summarize the preacher's main message from Ecclesiastes 1 and 2?
- What are your impressions of the book of Ecclesiastes?
- List three things you would like to change about your life and three things you would like to stay the same
- Can you think of instances when you felt you had "gained," only to find that in time you were dissatisfied again?
- What strategies do you think people you know, including yourself, use to avoid facing the reality of death?
- Sing "Come Ye Sinners" together
Christ is risen
Read Luke 24:36–49
- How did the disciples react to Jesus' greeting? (v. 36–37)
- Why did they respond this way? (v. 37)
- How did Jesus respond to them? (v. 38–40)
- How did the disciples react to this? (v. 41)
- Why do you think Luke included that Jesus ate a piece of fish? (v. 41–43)
- What was written about Christ in the Law of Moses, the Prophets, and the Psalms? (v. 44; 46–47)
- How did Jesus help the disciples understand the Scriptures? (v. 45)
- Who is the message of the gospel to be proclaimed to? (v. 47)
- Why did Jesus tell them to stay in the city? (v. 49)
- What do we learn about who Jesus is?
- What do we learn about the Old Testament Scriptures?
- Why do we need God's help to understand the Scriptures?
- How does the change our prayer lives and our daily Scripture reading?
- Who are you sharing this good news with? (Pray for one another and the people you are sharing with)
- Sing together of our risen Savior Christ Jesus: "Christ is Risen".