Sermon Bible Study Guides
Mary’s Song of Praise
Read Luke 1:46-55
- How does Mary describe God in this song of praise? (Look at names, titles, and descriptions)
- Why does Mary praise God? What has God done for her?
- How has God treated different kinds of people in this song?
- Why does God treat them differently?
- What is God’s posture towards different people any why? (Look for repeated words, ideas, or themes)
- Why has God acted to help Israel?
- How does that relate to us as the church? (Consider Gen. 12:1-3 - Abrahamic Covenant, and Gal. 3:27-29)
- How does the birth of Jesus show God’s mercy to us?
- What does Mary model for us?
- What kind of people does the Lord bless?
- How can we cultivate this?
- What kind of people does the Lord oppose?
- How can we fight this?
Jesus has life-giving power
Read Mark 5:21-43
- Describe the opening scene of this passage
- Who comes to Jesus? What does he want?
- What happens on the way to the house?
- How is the woman healed?
- How does Jesus explain what has happened?
- What news does the ruler of the synagogue receive in the meantime? How does Jesus respond?
- How do the crowds at the house respond to what Jesus says?
- What does Jesus do?
- How does the passage conclude? Why does Jesus tell the family not to tell anyone about this?
- What is the relationship between the two stories?
- What do these stories tell us about Jesus’ authority?
- What is the role of faith in these stories? How should that affect the way we think about our own faith?
- What kind of people does Jesus care for? What does this teach us about who we, as Jesus’ followers, should care for?