Who do you say Jesus is?
Read Mark 8:22-9:1
- What conversation had Jesus and his disciples been having immediately previous to this passage? What had Jesus asked them?
- What happens in the first section of this passage? (v. 22-26)
- How does Jesus perform this miracle? What is unusual about it?
- What questions does Jesus ask his disciples? (answer them for yourself)
- What does Peter's answer mean? (what does Christ/messiah mean?)
- Consider v.31-9:1, does Paul understand who Jesus is? How does this compare to the story of the blind man in the verses before? What is missing from Peter's understanding?
- Why "must the Son of man suffer many things and... be killed, and after three days rise again"?
- What does Jesus say is absolutely necessary to following him? (Consider each phrase, it's meaning, and what that might be lived out)
- How does Jesus miracle relate to spiritual realities? What does it show us?
- Who do you confess Jesus to be? What does that mean?
- Is the answer to that question important? If so why?
- How can we follow after Jesus? What does it mean to deny yourself and take up your cross?
- What things are you tempted to want to gain in this world? How do they relate to following Jesus?
- In what ways are you ashamed of Jesus? What should we do?