Parable of the Murderous Tenants
- What is a parable and why did Jesus use them?
- Who was Jesus telling this parable to? (Mk 11:27–33)
Read Mark 12:1-12:
- What was the setting of this parable?
- Who are the people in the parable?
- What happens to the man's servant when he is sent to the tenants? (v. 3)
- What happens to the next servant he sends? (v. 4)
- What happens to the beloved son he sends? (v. 7–8)
- What will the owner of the vineyard do to the tenants? (v. 9)
- How did the hearers respond to Jesus' parable? (v. 12)
- How were God's prophets treated by God's people in the Old Testament?
- List a few examples
- What does this parable tell us about God's kindness and patience?
- If Jesus was mistreated and eventually killed, what do we learn about the cost of discipleship from this passage?
- What sin fueled the mistreatment of God's people and eventually the Son of God?
- How are we in danger of committing this sin today?
- What does this parable tell us about God's sure triumph against his enemies?
- How can you encourage unbelievers to choose Christ and life in him?