Inductive Bible Study - Mark 7:1-23
Honor the Commands of God
Read Mark 7:1-23
- What do the Pharisees and scribes observe about Jesus’ disciples? Why was that noteworthy to them?
- What do they ask Jesus?
- How does Jesus respond at first (verses 6-13)?
- What is the issue Jesus takes with them?
- What examples does he give?
- In the examples Jesus gives of how they are leaving the commands of God, but holding to the commands of men, what do these examples show about what they really value? What they didn’t value?
- In verses 14ff, Jesus gives a more general explanation. What is his basic point?
- How does this illuminate his previous reaction to the Pharisees’ question?
- Who asks him for more explanation? What does Jesus say to them?
- What does not defile a man?
- What does defile a man?
- What does this mean for how a person can be pure in the eyes of God?
- What warning is there for us about traditions we might adopt? What kind of questions should we be asking to help us discern if a tradition is helpful or a cover for sin?
- What application does Mark give regarding food? Why is this an important application?
- If all these sinful thoughts and actions are what defile a person, how can a person keep from being defiled?