Acts 28:1-31 - 15th October 2021
What does it say?
- Read Acts 28
- What characters are mentioned? Any new ones?
- How do people treat Paul throughout this chapter?
- What are repeated words/phrases?
- What chapter in Isaiah is quoted? (It may help to read more of that chapter for context)
- What questions do you have after reading through the chapter?
What does it mean?
- What is the conclusion of the native people on Malta about Paul? (v4,6)
- What did the natives believe about their god to think that Paul would be punished for wrongdoing?
- Has Paul been worshiped like a god before in Acts?
- Do you think that Paul helped them to understand the true God, even though there is no written record of it here?
- "Brothers" are mentioned in vv14-15, and then Paul addresses "Brothers" in vers 17.
- Do you think these are the same groups of brothers or different?
- Why would Paul consider these different groups "brothers"?
- Why does Paul say he is imprisoned in verse 20?
- How is this different than other purpose statements Paul has given in Acts? (e.g. 23:6)
- What is the "hope of Israel"?
- Why does Paul continue to use Moses and the Prophets to convince people about Jesus?
- What Old Testament books would be included in "Moses and the Prophets"?
- Read Jesus' words from Luke 24:25-27, 44-49.
- Who does Jesus say that the law of Moses, the prophets, and the Psalms are written about?
- Why do you think that some Jews were convinced and some Jews were not (v.24)?
How should it change us?
- Paul aimed to convince his listeners about Jesus in verse 23.
- When is a recent time that you have aimed to convince someone about Jesus? What was their response?
- Mack Stiles defines evangelism as "teaching the gospel with the aim to persuade." What can you do to grow in your ability to persuade others about Jesus?
- Why do you think that not everyone is convinced by Paul in verse 24?
- Does it encourage you or discourage you in evangelism knowing that not everyone will believe what you say?
- What does it look like to trust God with the results of your words?
- What is a current "hindrance" to you in teaching about Jesus with boldness? How can you grow in that?