Showing items filed under “Jon Pentecost”
The Great Commission
Read Matthew 28:18-20
- Who is Jesus speaking to?
- What ground or reason does Jesus give for what he instructs them to do?
- What does he tell them to do?
- What are the specific components of the mission given to them?
- What are the parts of making disciples?
- What encouragement does he give them?
- How does who Jesus was addressing inform who is meant to carry out this commission? Who should today be leading in making disciples of all nations?
- How can you be involved in making disciples?
- What encouragements can we take from what Jesus says here as we make disciples?
- What is the relationship of baptism to making disciples? How should that shape the way we think about making disciples (Hint: Consider how Matt 16 and Matt 18 might inform the meaning of this passage).
Walk in truth by showing love to the family of God
Read 3 John 1-4
- Who is the author writing to and how does he feel about them?
- Why does he feel that way about him? Who else does he feel this way towards?
- How do you respond to testimonies of God’s work in other Christians? What practical steps could you take to help you respond with rejoicing more consistently?
- What simple step can you take to help encourage other Christians, based off this text?
Read 3 John 5-12
- What faithful thing has Gaius done? Why does John say it is important for him to do this?
- What is the result of Gaius’s support of these brothers?
- What is Diotrophes doing?
- What does John say Gaius should and shouldn’t imitate? Who are the examples of who to imitate and who not to imitate?
- What does John’s responses to Gaius and Diotrophes teach us about how we should engage with others in the church?
- What practical ways could you become fellow workers for the truth with other believers?
Read 3 John 13-15
- How does John conclude the letter?
- What does John seem to value in the way he concludes?
- What would need to change in the way you think about fellow Christians in order for you to speak about fellow believers in the same way as John?