in The Psalms
Seeking the Lord
Read Psalm 14
- How is humanity described in this psalm?
- Is this a blanket statement that’s completely true of all people?
- Are there any hints in the text that might suggest otherwise?
- How is wickedness described? What is the fundamental issue or problem?
- What are the evildoers attempting to do?
- What will God do?
- God is described as a refuge for the poor. What does that mean?
- How does the psalm end? What tone does it have? What explains the shift in tone from the beginning to the end.
- What does this psalm teach us about humanity? How should that affect our day-to-day interactions?
- Should we imitate the Lord in being a refuge for the poor? What would that look like?
- If lack of knowledge is connected to seeking God, what kind of knowledge should we seek to gain? What are ways that you can pursue that?
- The psalmist praises the Lord, even though his prayers for salvation haven’t been answered yet. How does your heart do at praising God while waiting for answers to prayer?