Showing items filed under “The Psalms”
The LORD is my shepherd
Read Psalm 23
- What does David teach us about God?
- What is God like? (Unpack the metaphor - what is a shepherd like? What do they do?)
- What does he do?
- Why does he do it?
- What do we learn about David?
- Where is he? (consider his situation(s), and what these poetic descriptions indicate)
- Where does God lead him?
- How does he feel?
- What is David's hope or confidence, and why?
- How does this apply to us since we are not David?
- How does David's hope become our hope?
- How does this point to/relate to Jesus Christ?
Tell the Coming Generation
Read Psalm 78:1-8
- What is the main instruction that the psalmist gives in this passage? What reason does he give for it?
- How does he say he’s going to speak to them? In what form will his words be?
- How should this affect the way we read the rest of the psalm?
- What is the danger that comes from forgetting the works of God, according to the psalmist?
- What does it meant to tell the coming generation about God’s testimony and law? How can we do that today?
- Who is the coming generation that we should speak to?
- How can we keep from forgetting the works of God?
Read Psalm 78:9-72
- The psalmist refers to several points in Israel’s history. See if you can label what event different sections are referring to.
- What is the overall theme of this telling of history?
- What does God do and act like?
- What do the Israelites consistently do?
- How does God respond to them? What does this teach about God’s character?
- Why does the psalm conclude with celebrating David?
- What should we learn from the pattern? What warning is there for us? What encouragement?
- How should we respond to this revelation of God’s character?
- Why is this history helpful for remaining faithful to God’s instruction?