Mark 8:1-21 - February 16th 2018
Read Mark 8:1-21
- Where have they been? What has just happened? (Review 7:31-37)
- Who is with Jesus? What has been happening in Jesus’ ministry?
- Why does Jesus say? How do his disciples respond?
- What does this interaction tell us about them?
- What happens? How?
- How does this compare/contrast with the feeding of the five thousand (6:30-44)? Does it reveal anything new to us?
- What do the Pharisees do and why?
- How does Jesus respond? Why?
- What does warn his disciples? What does his warning mean? What is leaven and what kind of ‘leaven’ do the Pharisees and Herod have? (Think about the interactions between these groups with Jesus so far in Mark)
- How do the disciples respond and why?
- Consider each of Jesus’ questions to his disciples. What does each mean? What does Jesus want them to understand? Will they ever understand?
- What is the significance of the feedings?
- What spiritual truths are being revealed by Jesus that his disciples are failing to see?
- What do we learn about Jesus’ identity and character?
- How can we know and understand Jesus? What keeps us from knowing and understanding Jesus? What is the remedy?