What does it say?
- Read Matthew 7:7-11
- Repeated words, ideas, themes
- Connective words (what do they communicate?)
- Rhetorical questions (answer them)
What does it mean?
- What does it mean to "ask," "seek," and "knock"?
- What are we meant to be asking, seeking, and knocking for?
- How does the comparison between the Father in heaven and fathers on earth function?
- What does he mean "if you then, who are evil" (v.11)?
- How does this passage fit with prayers that are unanswered?
- How does this connect to the gospel? (What do we learn about: God; Man; Christ; Our Response?)
How should it change us?
- How should this affect your prayer life?
- Are you tempted to doubt this? How so? What truth in this passage can help you overcome that temptation?
- What are you asking for in prayer? Seeking in life? Pursuing eagerly? (Consider your prayer life- what do you spend most time talking to God about?)
- Pray in light of this passage and about any applications you have made.
- Sing Praise God from Whom All Blessings Flow.