What does it say?
- Read John 9:1–12 and summarize what happened.
- Now read John 9:13–34
- Who do the Jewish people take the healed man to and why?
- What do some of the Pharisees conclude about Jesus and why?
- What do other Pharisees conclude and why?
- What do his parents say and why?
- What does the man who was healed conclude and why?
What does it mean?
- What do we learn about Jesus from this passage?
- Did Jesus disobey the Sabbath?
- What does the healed man conclude about Jesus? (v. 30–32)
- Consider and compare the differing responses to Jesus (Jews, Pharisees, Parents, Healed man).
- How and why do they respond the way they do?
- Read John 9:35–41
- How do these inform our understanding of the healing?
- What is the physical blindness and healing pointing to?
How should it change us?
- Do you struggle to believe the truth about Jesus?
- Are you tempted to explain away who he is and what he has done?
- Are you afraid to identify yourself with Jesus because of how people might respond? (e.g. with friends, colleagues, family members)
- Like the Pharisees, are you tempted to think you are better than others because you "follow the rules".
- Do you ask God to help you see and know Jesus more?
- Sing In Christ Alone to God and to one another.