What does it say?
- Read James 4:13–5:6
- Who does James address?
- What are the repeated words/phrases/ideas?
- What commands are given to each?
- What reasons are given?
What does it mean?
- What do we learn about God?
- Why is it boastful to make definite claims about the future?
- What does v. 17 mean?
- What have the rich been doing?
- What is going to happen to them?
- What aspects (God, Man, Christ, Response) of the gospel are touched on in this passage?
- How does the gospel re-orient us to resist boastful planning, selfish-indulgence and defrauding others?
How should it change us?
- How should we plan and talk about the future?
- How are you tempted to be arrogant and boastful about your future?
- How does this view of God correct that?
- Are you tempted to lay up treasures for yourself? How might this passage help you fight that? How do these truths warn you?
- Have you been defrauded? How do the truths of this passage comfort you?