What does it say?
- Read James 1:1–4
- Who wrote this letter?
- What does he tell us about himself?
- Who is the recipient of the letter?
- Where are they located?
- List repeated words/phrases.
- List 'connecting' words.
- What commands does the author give?
What does it mean?
- Why is it significant that the author says he is a servant of the Lord Jesus Christ? (v. 1)
- What trials is the author referring to? (See James 2:15–17, 4:13–5:11)
- What does 'various' mean? (v. 2)
- What is 'steadfastness?' (vv. 3, 4)
- What does 'perfect and complete' mean? (v. 4)
How should it change us?
- What is your first response to trials?
- How can you help your brothers and sisters respond like James says?
- What lies have you believed about trials?