What does it say?
- Read James 2:14–26
- What are repeated words/phrases?
- How many questions are asked?
- Who is mentioned?
- What illustrations/examples are given?
What does it mean?
- Read James 1:16–25
- How is hearing/doing the word connected to faith/works?
- What causes faith in 1:18?
- Why does James use the example of a poor brother or sister being mistreated in vv. 15–16?
- How is faith without works similar to the belief of demons in vv. 18–19?
- Why does James use Abraham and Rahab as examples?
- Since the Bible is multiple books with multiple authors and also one book with one author, how are Paul and James in agreement with their teachings on justification, works, and faith?
- Read Rom. 1:5; Gal. 5:6; Rom. 3:28; Rom. 4:1–8
- How is this passage grounded in the gospel?
How should it change us?
- How can you assess your own faith and examine if it is saving faith or dead faith?
- Why should we be doing this for ourselves?
- How can you help other Christians assess their faith and examine if it is saving or dead faith?
- Why should we doing this for one another?
- How do you treat poor Christians?
- Why is this a sign of if you are a true Christian or not?