in 2 Timothy
What does it say?
- Read 2 Timothy 3:10–17
- What repeated words or themes do you see?
- Who are the people mentioned?
- What did Paul say Timothy followed (v. 10–11)?
- Who rescued Paul from persecutions (v. 11)?
- What will happen to those who "desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus" (v. 12)?
- When did Timothy become acquainted with the sacred writings (v. 15)?
- Who is the author of Scripture (v. 16)?
- What is Scripture profitable for (v. 16)?
What does it mean?
- Summarize the passage in one sentence
- What is 'however' referring to in v. 10?
- What does v. 12 mean? Is it true for all Christians?
- Who taught Timothy the Scriptures? (cf. 2 Tim 1:5)
- What are the 'sacred writings' (v. 15)?
- What books of the Bible is 'Scripture' referring to (v. 16)?
How should it change us?
- How does v. 12 apply to our church?
- How can you help the members of the church continue in what they've learned?
- Timothy was acquainted with the sacred writings from childhood. How can you help members with children be equipped to teach their children?
- What is your attitude toward Scripture? How often do you read it and meditate on it? How is this the same or different from Paul's attitude in v. 16?
- Sing How Firm a Foundation to God and to one another.