in The Psalms
What does it say?
- Read Psalm 40
- What are repeated words/phrases/ideas?
- Who is mentioned in the psalm?
- How are they described?
- Their situations
- Their character
- Their responses
What does it mean?
- What do we learn about God?
- What do we learn about David/mankind? (Consider the various characters/groups identified in the Psalm)
- Why do you think David says God has not delighted in offerings and not required them (v.6)? Aren't they part of the Mosaic Law? What does he mean?
- Why does David commit to speaking about God's deliverance (v.? Why is this necessary?
- What does David need deliverance from?
- How does this Psalm relate to the gospel of Jesus Christ?
How should it change us?
- How might this Psalm comfort you in whatever you face today?
- How does God's help and deliverance in the past affect your view of the future? How does that impact how live now?
- How does this psalm apply individually? How does it apply to us as a church?