Sermon Bible Study Guides
Rejoice, The Lord is King
Read Psalm 47:
- What is the instruction given in the first verse of the Psalm?
- What reasons are given for that instruction (v2-4)?
- Why should those reasons result in praise?
- What is God’s position in relation to the world according to the psalm?
- What is the position of God’s people in relation to the world?
- How do the rulers (princes) respond to his rule in this psalm?
- How is this different from other psalms (like Ps. 2)?
- How does this fit with what is described in verses 2-4?
- What is the reason given for the rulers’ response to God?
- What is the result of all this?
- Do you rejoice in the Lord’s rule?
- What does it mean that the nations are subdued under God’s people’s feet? How does this apply to us as Christians today?
- How should we relate to the world based off of this psalm?
- How should we respond to the fact that the princes gather as God’s people? How does this apply to us?
Tell the Coming Generation
Read Psalm 78:1-8
- What is the main instruction that the psalmist gives in this passage? What reason does he give for it?
- How does he say he’s going to speak to them? In what form will his words be?
- How should this affect the way we read the rest of the psalm?
- What is the danger that comes from forgetting the works of God, according to the psalmist?
- What does it meant to tell the coming generation about God’s testimony and law? How can we do that today?
- Who is the coming generation that we should speak to?
- How can we keep from forgetting the works of God?
Read Psalm 78:9-72
- The psalmist refers to several points in Israel’s history. See if you can label what event different sections are referring to.
- What is the overall theme of this telling of history?
- What does God do and act like?
- What do the Israelites consistently do?
- How does God respond to them? What does this teach about God’s character?
- Why does the psalm conclude with celebrating David?
- What should we learn from the pattern? What warning is there for us? What encouragement?
- How should we respond to this revelation of God’s character?
- Why is this history helpful for remaining faithful to God’s instruction?