What does it say?
- Read John 5:31-47
- Do you notice any repeated words or ideas?
- Who are the different people/things that bear witness about Jesus?
- Do you see any illustrations or word pictures used?
- What connections do you see between this section and the previous section in John, verses 16-30?
- According to Jesus, why do the Jews fail to accept the Father's witness about Him? (v. 38-40)
What does it mean?
- Jesus could have stopped with just one witness (John the baptist) to verify his identity. What does it say about Jesus that he lists so many witnesses to the religious leaders?
- Read Deuteronomy 19:15. How does this help you understand what Jesus is trying to accomplish by listing so many witnesses?
- What does it mean in verses 35 that John the Baptist was a "burning and shining lamp"?
- Is this similar or different to Jesus, who is the light that came into the world (John 1:8)
- Do you think it's possible to love the Bible but not love Jesus? Explain why or why not.
- Jesus says that receiving "glory from people" (v. 41) is opposed to receiving glory from God (v. 44)? Why is receiving human praise a stumbling block to true belief?
- Read Deuteronomy 18:15 and Deuteronomy 31:26.
- How do these passages show that the Jews did not believe in Moses' writings?
How should it change us?
- Which of these "witnesses" to Jesus stands out the most to you? Why?
- How is your own life a witness to who Jesus is?
- What's an area of your life where you love the praise of people?
- Spend some time confessing those areas to one another.
- Pray in light of this passage and about any applications you have made
- Sing Jesus is Mine to God and to one another.