What does it say?
- Recap the story from John 11:1–16.
- Who had an illness?
- What does Jesus do about it?
- Read John 11:17–27.
- Who are the people in this passage?
- What are the places?
- How long was Lazarus in the tomb? (v. 17)
- Why did the Jews come to Martha and Mary? (v. 19)
- What did Martha tell Jesus in vv. 21–22 in your own words?
- What did Martha believe about Lazarus? (v. 24)
- What question does Jesus ask Martha? (vv. 25–26)
What does it mean?
- Summarize the passage in one sentence.
- Why did Jesus wait four days to visit? (v. 17)
- Why was Jesus on his way to Jerusalem? (v. 18)
- Why did Martha respond the way she did in vv. 21–22?
- What does it mean that Jesus is "the resurrection and the life?" (v. 25)
How should it change us?
- What do we learn about Jesus from this passage?
- How does the resurrection give us hope for today and tomorrow?
- What can we learn from Martha in this passage?
- How can you encourage a member struggling to hope and believe in Jesus during difficult times?