Sermon Bible Study Guides
God’s Answer to Sin
Read Genesis 6:1-8
- What is the context of what is happening? What reference to God’s commands to man in Genesis 1 can you see?
- What thing happens that provokes the Lord? What is his response?
- Moses describes this being the time of mighty men of renown. Yet how does God judge the reputation of humanity?
- What does the Lord see about humanity? What is is his response?
- What action does God promise?
- What is the relationship between verse 7 and 8?
- What warning is there for us from this passage?
- How should we think about sinful thoughts, based off this passage?
- What is the response of your heart in hearing the action God promises in verse 7? Why do you think you respond that way?
- What hope is there in this passage?
When Sin Masters Man
Read Genesis 4:1-16
- What does Eve say when she becomes pregnant? What might this be referring back to?
- What is the reason for Cain’s murder of Abel?
- How did God respond to Cain’s actions?
- How does Cain respond to God’s judgment?
- How does God respond to Cain’s objection?
- What should we learn from the difference in Cain and Abel’s offerings?
- How can we apply the warning God gives to Cain (v6,7)?
- Why do you think the Lord gives Cain the mark? What does that teach us about God’s character?
Read Genesis 4:17-26
- What happens to Cain after he goes away?
- What things to Cain’s descendants accomplish?
- What is the meaning of Lamech’s song to his wives?
- At the end of the chapter, Moses goes back to an earlier point in time to point out something. What is it, and why is that important (compare with Gen. 3:15)?
- What does it mean that people began to ‘call on the name of the Lord’?
- What do we see happening to the pattern of Cain’s jealousy and hatred toward his brother?
- God provides another ‘offspring’ for Adam and Eve. What does this teach us about God’s character and provision? How can this apply to our lives?