What does it say?
- Read James 1:19–27
- Who is listed in the passage?
- What does James tell us about God?
- How does James address his readers?
- List repeated words/phrases.
- List connecting words (e.g. for, therefore, but, and, if).
- What commands or promises does James give?
- What comparisons or illustrations does James make?
What does it mean?
- What is 'meekness' in v. 21?
- What is the 'implanted word' in v. 21?
- What is the 'law of liberty' in v. 25?
- What does it mean to 'bridle [your] tongue' in v. 26?
- Summarize the passage in one sentence.
How should it change us?
- How do you need to grow in applying v. 19?
- Do you try to apply the sermon every week? How can you grow in doing this?
- What does your speech reveal about your religion? What about your speech in the office? At home? With non-Christians?
- How do you care for the marginalized and the vulnerable?