What does it say?
- Read James 1:12–18
- Who is listed in the passage?
- List repeated words/phrases.
- List 'connecting' words.
- What commands or promises does James give?
- What comparisons or illustrations does James make?
What does it mean?
- What is 'the crown of life' in v. 12?
- What does it mean that God is 'the Father of lights' in v. 17?
- What does it mean to be a kind of 'firstfruits of his creatures' in v. 18?
- What is the difference between trials and temptations?
- Summarize the passage in one sentence.
How should it change us?
- In trials, how do you keep your attention on the reward to come?
- How can the doctrine of God help us fight temptation?
- How can the doctrine of God help us not be deceived?
- What temptations do you face, and what is the goal of your temptations?