Sermon Bible Study Guides
All is vanity
Read Ecclesiastes 1–2:26
- Explain the meaning of "vanity" in Ecclesiastes in your own words (v. 2)
- Explain the meaning of "under the sun" in Ecclesiastes in your own words (v. 3)
- List the different categories the preacher addresses as "vanity" in Ecclesiastes 1 and 2.
- What does it mean to "toil under the sun"?
- How would you summarize the preacher's main message from Ecclesiastes 1 and 2?
- What are your impressions of the book of Ecclesiastes?
- List three things you would like to change about your life and three things you would like to stay the same
- Can you think of instances when you felt you had "gained," only to find that in time you were dissatisfied again?
- What strategies do you think people you know, including yourself, use to avoid facing the reality of death?
- Sing "Come Ye Sinners" together
Traps Set for jesus
Read Mark 12:13-27
- Who sent some of the Pharisees and Herodians to trap Jesus in v. 13? (Look back at Mark 11:27-28)
- Why did they want to trap Jesus?
- How did begin their trap for Jesus? What question did they ask?
- Did Jesus fall for their trap? Why or why not? (v. 15-17)
- How did they respond to his answer?
- Who asked him the next question in v. 18?
- What does Mark tell us about Sadducees?
- What question did they ask him in v. 19-23?
- Why does Jesus say the Sadducees are wrong? (look at v. 24)
- What does it look like to "render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's?
- What does it look like "[render to] God the things that are God's?"
- How does Jesus' teaching in Mark 12:13-17 influence how we live as citizens of kingdom yet also residents of Dubai?
- What does this passage tell us of the wisdom and authority of Jesus?
- What encouragement and hope does Mark 12:18-27 provide for us in regards to resurrection from the dead?