What does it say?
- Read John 4:1-42
- Do you see any repeated words or ideas?
- What are the locations mentioned in this passage?
- What was Jesus' physical condition in verse 6?
- Why does the author say that the woman was surprised Jesus was talking to her? (John 4:9)
- What titles (or names) are given to Jesus in these verses?
What does it mean?
- Samaritans were hated by the Jews because long before in their history, some Jews intermarried with Gentiles (non-Jews). This group of half-Jews became known as Samaritans. They wanted full rights to the temple and claimed the same God, but the ‘pure-bred’ Jews despised them.
- What other prejudices did Jesus have to overcome in order to help this woman?
- What do you think compelled Jesus to speak with her?
- What is special about the water that Jesus offers this woman?
- Read Jeremiah 2:13 and John 7:37-39.
- Do these passages help you understand what Jesus means by "living water"? How so?
- The woman changes the subject in verse 19 to ask about where people ought to worship
- Why do you think she asks this question?
- What do you think it means to “worship the Father in Spirit and Truth”?
- When will that time come?
- Jesus makes another analogy in verses 34-38.
- What does it mean that doing Gods will is like food for Jesus?
- What do you think it mean to “reap” or “labor”?
How should it change us?
- Thinking about Jeremiah 2:13 and the "broken cisterns" or "empty wells" that it talks about.
- What are some ways that people today try to fill the emptiness in their lives?
- How can Jesus’ “Living Water” satisfy some (or all) of these needs?
- Confess with someone one way that you’ve failed to seek Jesus for “living water” this week, and then pray together.
- Just like Jesus, we get weary from different things in our lives (v. 6).
- In the past, how have you seen God sustain you through your tiredness or through weary seasons of life?
- What could it look like to make his will & work your “food”?
- Why is this kind of work worth it?
- Pray in light of this passage and about any applications you have made
- Sing What a Friend We Have in Jesus to God and to one another.
Some questions are adapted from InterVarsity Bible study, Jesus Satisfies.