in The Psalms
Lamenting and Repenting
Read Psalm 79
- What historical event are verses 1-3 describing? (see 2 Kings 25 or Jeremiah 52)
- How does the psalmist respond to this tragedy?
- What questions does he ask of the Lord?
- What requests does he ask of the Lord?
- What reasons does he give as to why the Lord should do what he’s asking for?
- How does he end the psalm? How can you explain the shift in tone?
- What does this psalm teach us about how to lament and grieve?
- Why should the psalmist expect mercy or compassion? How can this strengthen or encourage us?
- The psalmist repents and asks for forgiveness even in the midst of grief. Do you think to confess sin in the middle of hardship or suffering? What helps you do that?
- What can we learn from his requests for judgment on the nation’s enemies? Are these appropriate prayers for us today?
- How does this psalm help us love Jesus more?